Wacky Wednesday

12 06 2008

Date: June 12

Mileage: 4.4

June Mileage: 37.4

Year to Date Mileage: 370.8

Temp/Weather: 70’s, sunny


Yesterday was sort of a surreal day. I ended up stuck at home sick all day. Fortunately, work is very understanding of me not wanting to pass my germs around, so they let me stay home instead of dragging my butt in to work. I was not a pretty sight at 7 am.

Then last night, I had finally started to feel better when the boyfriend had to go to some meeting. This was probably around 6:15 that he left. About 10 minutes later, I was sitting down to my delicious, but bland dinner of steamed acorn squash, brown rice, and tuna, when I heard the tornado sirens go off. At first I couldn’t believe my ears, and all I could think was “It’s not Saturday mornig, why are they testing the alarms?” Well, they weren’t testing them, obvioulsy. I am sure most of you know about the Boy Scout Camp tragedy from last night.

So I rounded up the critters, some light reading, my knitting and spinning projects that had helped alleviate the crushing boredom I faced yesterday while prostrate on the couch, my dinner, and my cell phone. I go them and all my stuff down in the basement, went back for the pet food (the critters had just been fed, and the less shark-like of the three still had food left). Then I went back for a third time to get pillows and bedding to make a comfy nest for boyfriend and I, who I had called in a panic as soon as I heard the sirens go off. Then I went back a fourth time for dinner for the boyfriend, and drinks, socks, and a sweater. Then I went back a fifth time for advil and massage oil for the boyfriend’s back. And I finally went back a sixth time to get the cat when she tried to make a break for it.

It was interesting to see the progression of the pea-soup colored sky outside. It is something I had always heard of, but never really experienced until last night. Scary stuff.

We did go outside at one point because the boyfriend called his dad to make sure he was safe, and his dad told him that he was standing in his driveway watching the sky spin. So we went out so boyfriend could show me the very scary sky. I kept running back into the garage, then coming back out. I felt like a little hermit crab. I went back into my safe spot when I got scared, but i was just barely brave enough to keep trying to come out. I finally gave up once the rain started. it didn’t take it long to go from a sprinkle to a torrential downpour.

We ended up being in the basement for a total of about 8.5 hours last night. We tried and partially succeeded at sleeping down there, figuring our chances at survival were better if we were sleeping downstairs instead of upstairs. But it was restless sleep, and going back upstairs once the danger had physically passed didn’t ease the danger that was still in my mind.

Let’s hope we don’t see any more storms like these for a while. Twice in a week is more than enough for me, thanks. And I would still rather deal with an earthquake than a tornado. You midwesterners are crazy people.




Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: